Do you want to know the secret to strengthening your core? It begins not by using any equipment but requires only yourself. It starts by regularly incorporating abs plank as part of your abs routine. Many fitness experts recommend the abs plank not just due to its less complicated moves but the pressure it is able to put on your target muscles.
The abs plank position looks a bit similar with that of push ups except the greater challenge is holding the position for a longer period of time. As you do so, be deliberate about tightening your abs to maximize on its effectiveness. If you are a beginner, you can start by holding this position for about 10-15 seconds. Whereas some pros have been shown to be able to hold it by as much as over 5 minutes!
While doing the abs plank, be conscious of how your back, hips and legs are positioned. Make sure they are flat throughout the entire time you are holding your position to add resistance not just for your abs but for your lower back and glutes as well, thereby making the exercise work for you.
As simple as it may seem, this is far from being an easy exercise for the beginner but definitely, a highly effective one!
- Lie on the floor, face down.
- Position your hands on the floor, palms facing down, shoulder width apart.
- Flex your feet, so your body is parallel to the floor, your elbows are bent, and only your toes are the part of your feet that are touching the ground.
1. Fully extend your arms and lift your weight upward, keeping your back and legs as straight as possible.
2. Hold that position for as long as you can.
Lower your body back to your original position.
Has this exercise helped you? Let us know by adding your comments below.