- Straddle dumbbell with feet slightly wider apart than shoulder width.
- Squat down with arm extended downward between legs and grasp dumbbell handle with overhand grip…with dumbbell sides facing front and back.
- Position shoulder over dumbbell with strong arched back (not rounded)
- Torso close to vertical.
- Pull dumbbell up off floor, slightly forward, just above height of ankles.
- Immediately dip down slightly and swing dumbbell back under hips.
- Quickly swing dumbbell up by raising upper body upright and extending legs.
- Continue to swing dumbbell back down between legs and up higher on each swing until height just above head can be maintained.
- Swing dumbbell back down between legs.
- Allow dumbbell to swing forward but do not extend hips and knees (as would be required to continue the swing). Slow dumbbell’s swing and place in starting position between feet.